? ??????????????Butterflies? ????? ?? ???Rating: 3.8 (180 Ratings)??1 Grab Today. 13204 Total Grabs. ?????
?Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????Backyard Summers? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.5 (4 Ratings)??0 Grabs Today. 4056 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????1? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tagging, folksonomies, del.icio.us and LibraryThing

I got a bit frustrated with del.icio.us, but only because we can't load anything on our PCs, and I had real trouble adding sites without the toolbar buttons. I can see it being quite useful, particularly as we have over 20 public access PCs, and if we want all the favourites to be the same, I.T. seem to take forever to do it. If we could create a del.icio.us account, then users could access that.
http://del.icio.us/traclee

When I was using Technorati, I became really aware of how important tags are. The advanced search page doesn't seem to be user-friendly to me, but maybe it's just me.

The big thing I noticed when using these 2 sites, was the importance of tags. We need to try and avoid "library speak" if we want the public to utilise our sites - some of the tags weren't what people would look for when searching for a subject.

I really love LibraryThing!! Added some of my own books, and am planning on sitting down this weekend and adding my entire library. My colleagues see the appeal of this site has for me - apparently I'm an "organised freak". Not a bad thing to be when your work in a library though.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/traclee

0 comments: